Instructors at Samurai Kembu Theater, who have obtained diplomas at one of the Kenbu schools among the more than 100 schools in Japan, will provide remote instruction using Zoom.
Kenbu introduction video
Types of classes
- “Kata” training : Learn the “Kata” (forms) of Kenbu, including the skills of the sword, the fan, and the dance.
- Piece practice: Learn choreography for a piece of Kenbu, combining Katas in accordance with a poem in the Kanshi Chinese-style, or a poem in the Waka Japanese-style.
- Piece Completion Test: Once you have successfully practiced the piece, you can take the Completion Certification Test.
- Promoting (Dan-ranking) test: A Dan-ranking is issued once a year. (Now in preparation)
Thing to bring for training
-A sword (or a rod)-
We use a sword called Iaito, a sword for martial arts called Iaido. Its blade is not sharp, but the shape is the same as a genuine sword. The price is $300 and up. We guess you cannot get it immediately, so first just prepare something like a sword, such as a wooden rod. The length should be from your hip to your ankle.
To keep the sword by your side, you have to use a belt. When you wear a Kimono and a Hakama, you insert the sword into a belt called Kakuobi, a belt to suspend the Hakama, or you can also put another softer belt on your Hakama.
At the training, you can use your belt for trousers, or get a 6-8 cm wide cloth to use as a belt,if possible.
Examples of pieces
“Nipponto” (The Japanese sword)
“Shiju-Shitishi” (47 ronin)
“Fujisan” (Mt. Fuji)
Enjoy learning the way of “expressing”!
- Trial (The 1st lesson) $10
- Group lesson (45min., 8ppl maximum):
$15 per lesson$10 per lesson for now
- Private lesson:
$30 /lesson$25 per lesson for now
- Piece completion test: $20
Flow to take classes
Please go to our registration form. You will be directed to a login page.
- Create a new user account
Click “Create a new user account,” and then enter the details.
*You are requested to enter your Gmail address, because we will distribute training materials and manage your training record usig Google services (such as sharing items with G drive).
- Activate your account
You will receive a confirmation email.Clicks a link in the email to activate your account.
- Book a lesson and pay via PayPal.
You can access the booking calendar. *If you don’t have a PayPal account, you can pay by credit card by clicking ‘pay as a guest.’
- Lesson start!
The lesson is provided using Zoom. Please set up Zoom in advance. Your instructor will send you a link for the meeting by e-mail.
*The deadline for reserving and cancelling is 12 hours before each lesson. A cancellation within 12 hours of the lesson is not refunded.
- Students who took this online class for more than 5 times can apply for the “Light Lesson / Full Lesson / Light Package / Full Package” at the Samurai Kenbu Theater at half price.
- We are planning training events several times a year at some big cities around the world other than Kyoto and Tokyo. Online class students can apply for them and have priority.
- This is designed for those of you who want to learn Kenbu:
Kenbu is a performing art that originated in the martial arts. You will learn some elements of martial arts, but the goal is to perform it as a dance, so it is not suitable for those who “only” want to learn martial arts. (It doesn’t matter if you learn short-term or long-term.)
- Those who have a generous attitude to our instructors’ imperfect English:
It is said that Japanese people are not good at English, particularly when it comes to listening. Our instructors have talked with more than 5,000 foreigners annually at the Samurai Kembu Theater in English, but most of them still feel English is very difficult for them. If they cannot catch what you are saying, or cannot communicate what they want to say, they will use text chat tools, etc. Please be generous about it and let’s make an effort to have good communication. If you have any problems, please contact our support service. (A native English speaker or someone who speaks English well will respond.)
Ginbu Co. (Samurai Kenbu Theater & Dojo)
Online Class team
(Email address) email@example.com